The New Millennium

January 1, 2000: Y2K night was uneventful. “Much ado about nothing.”

The Ford Crown Victoria is still the choice for patrol car. A few Chevys from 1996 are still on the fleet as quasi-duty cars. The Dodge Spirit is slowly phased out as unmarked detective vehicles for a somewhat larger Chevrolet Lumina.

On January 10, 2000 seventeen police officers were assigned the rank of Patrol Officer First Class receiving a single stripe for their uniform. The rank salutes those officers with 15 or more years of service. The officers were: Scott Bevensee, Joseph Boguszewicz, Robert Chibbaro, Martin Conte, Thomas Glapion, William Grischuk, Ronald Horinko, Leonard Hibbitts, Andrew Hubbard, Jeffrey Karpiscak, Michael Kushwarra, Mark Lorenc, Hugh McNeil, Lloyd Oertel, Dale Owens Gregory Rule and Scott Williams.

March 1, 2000: The department unveils its second quality review of the department. It’s much like the first quality review in 1995 but the department is vastly different than that of 1995. We want to better ourselves.

On March 8, 2000 a Middlesex County grand jury cleared Sgt. Ray Hayducka of any criminal wrongdoing in the December 20, 1999 shooting of Kyung Ho La.

On March 19, 2000 the department unveiled its new look. For only the third time in the department’s history the look of the patrol car has changed. Five new cars have been painted with a new reflective blue stripe that runs horizontally along the sides to increase visibility. The cars are also equipped with mobile video cameras. Replacing the aging MDT, the new cars now have laptop computers aboard. The remaining cars will be identical as per attrition.

On March 20, 2000 Kurt Keller was hired as a civilian dispatcher.

March 21, 2000 was the day Steven Walrond was sworn in as a police officer. He was a five-year veteran of Rutgers Police Department and was an auxiliary officer in South Brunswick from 1990 to 1994.

April 3, 2000 was the day Katie Ryan was hired as a part-time civilian dispatcher.

April, 13, 2000: As the April 20 anniversary of the Columbine High School tragedy nears, Schools Superintendent wants parents to know the schools are safe. “Our schools are safe. They have been safe and they are even safer than before,” … School Superintendent Dr. Sam Stewart.

On April 19, 2000 the department utilizes a countywide purchased F.A.T.S. system. This system is a hands-on state of the art firearm computerized training system with various interactive scenarios for judgmental shooting.

May 25, 2000: The Township accepts a federal grant of $500,000 to hire four new full-time police officers and keep the SRO program going. Last year the township received a grant for $125,000 to start the program and with these two grant awards, the department will hire seven officers but the increase in the department is only three. Many officers were lost to attrition following a pension buyout in 1991. “We are still rebuilding up to the 1991 strength.”…Capt. Frederick Thompson

On May 25, 2000 the police department initiates a proactive strategy entitled “SAFE GRADS 2000”. It is a prevention-based approach designed to promote a safe environment for participating students while involving all divisions of the police department. This is a modification of Sgt. Scott Hoover’s May 21, 1992 “Project Graduation.” It concerns media coverage (promotion of safety), hotels and motels (addressing youth rentals), liquor stores (ensuring strict compliance of the Alcohol Beverage Control laws and regulations), school sponsored events (to coordinate efforts to ensure proper planning and staffing of personnel and resources) and to prepare for any event in which “Directed Patrol Teams” may be implemented.

On July 17, 2000 Ptl. Richard Roche resigned to pursue other interests.

In the July 20 – 26, 2000 issue of the Asian Week Archives, the La case is discussed as a wrongful death,

August 01, 2000 at 5:00pm Karen Camp, 27 of Clarksboro, Robert “Jay” Jairdullo, 25 of North Plainfield, Richard Shin, 22 of Mount Holly and Ronald Seaman, 24 of Sayreville were sworn in as officers in council chambers. Shin is the first Asian-American officer to diversify the department and Camp is now the third female officer on board.

August 2, 2000 was supposed to be just an ordinary day at work, but at 5:00am a telephone call from the New York Police Department told us it was going to be a long day. They stated that as many as 25,000 Hasidic Jews would be on their way to South Brunswick to mourn the death of their leader, the Grand Rabbi Soloman Halberstam. A state of emergency was declared at 8:00am and during the morning hours the South Brunswick police were joined by some 125 officers from 15 police departments, state police and the Middlesex County Sheriff’s Department. Also involved were the Red Cross from Central New Jersey, Newark and Elizabeth, the state and county departments of transportation, Monmouth Junction fire departments and South Brunswick first aid squads. The Brooklyn based Hatzoloh ambulance service, a Hasidic EMS organization also responded to handle EMS at the graveside. The declaration was rescinded at 6:45pm after the hundreds of cars, buses and thousands of faithful followers had left. Three officers sustained injuries as mourners rushed the grave.

August 8, 2000: According to the 1999 Uniform Crime Report released by the governor, the overall crime rate shows a drop of about 25 percent in the township over 1998. “It is phenomenal,” said Chief Paquette.

On August 10, 2000 3,000 Bobov Hasidic Jews, a sect based in Borough Park Brooklyn, attended a ceremony unveiling the headstone of Grand Rabbi Soloman Halberstam at the Floral Park Cemetery, a Jewish graveyard in South Brunswick. “This time we had a full day to prepare,” said Lt. Ron Schmalz. “We were without incident this time,” he said.

On August 15, 2000, Thomas Glapion and Hugh McNeil were sworn in as the department’s newest sergeants. The new sergeants are the first black officers to attain the position. “I think that once again in our community, we can see what a fine agency the South Brunswick Police Department is, ” Councilman Edmund Luciano said. Both sergeants will have a salary of $73,282. Also on this date Joseph R. Rausch is sworn in as a police officer. He is a 25-year-old Princeton resident.

August 21, 2000: Sgt. Raymond Hayducka claims that the parents of the Kendall Park resident shot and killed last December were negligent. He files a lawsuit seeking damages of $200,000. It will take years before the case reaches a jury.

August 23, 2000 was the day over 100 law enforcement officers and various support teams descended upon South Brunswick as President Bill Clinton arrived with his aerial entourage at the Crossroads Middle School President Clinton talked about education and to endorse Rep. Rush Holt’s bid for re-election to Congress.

On August 25, 2000 Karen Camp turned in her letter of resignation. She will be returning to the Delaware River and Bay Authority Police Department.

September 12, 2000 was the day Donald Whicker was sworn in as a police officer for the township.

December 15, 2000 was the day John Penney was sworn in as a patrolman.

On February 8, 2001 at 0643 hrs, two vehicles collided on Raymond Rd in which 10-month veteran Steven Walrond responded to find a driver of an SUV unconscious. Walrond, with the assistance of passing motorist Bill Ludiem, pulled the driver from the wrecked vehicle. Moments later the vehicle exploded. Walrond said it was hard to see himself as a hero. “Men in uniform do this everyday,” he said.

February 9, 2001 was a day in stark contrast to the previous. A frantic effort by neighbors, five South Brunswick police officers and a father of two to save his two year old boy from a mobile home engulfed in flames fell tragically short. Patrolmen Don Whicker, Frank Lombardo, Bryan Hughes, Sgt. Hugh McNeil and patrolman Robert Jairdullo responded to the 9:42pm fire. All five suffered smoke inhalation. In addition Jairdullo cut both his hands trying to push in a window in the home. The fire was ruled accidental.

March 5, 2001, the area braces for what weather forecasters call “The Storm of the Century” with snow amounts expected to exceed 20 inches by tomorrow. The police department issued a storm car plan with six cars in each of the three districts. All hold on for the worse. Patrolman Jeff Karpiscak grabs his sleeping bag and reports to work at 9:00pm in preparation for his dayshift nightmare. He sleeps on a couch in the juvenile bureau. He and everyone else awoke to find a light coating of snow. A bust.

March 19, 2001 was the day Geralynne C. Froggatt and David Meringer were hired as dispatchers.

March 20, 2001: State Senator Peter Inverso salutes police officer Steven Walrond and Bill Ludiem for saving the life of a motorist on February 8. He also congratulates Sgt. Hugh McNeil, Patrolmen Frank Lombardo, Bryan Hughes, Donald Whicker and Robert Jairdullo for bravery shown while trying to save a child from a February 9th home fire.

On July 3, 2001 the department welcomes Michael A. Pellino, 28 and Frank J. Mongalieri, 29 as newly sworn in police officers.

August 13, 2001: while instructing a class of police recruits at the Somerset County Police Academy’s running track, South Brunswick police officer Steven Walrond was critically injured when a bolt of lightning struck him in the head. According to the press, the metal badge on his uniform hat attracted the bolt. He was also burned about his body. Walrond rescued an unconscious driver from a burning car on February 8th.

On August 23, 2001 an agreement between the police department and local crossing guards is set in place for the new school year. Under the agreement, crossing guards will be under the jurisdiction of the police department rather than a private company providing the service. Guards became unhappy with the company’s services and salaries since the service was provided in 1997.

September 11, 2001. The entire world is shocked when on this day terrorists hijacked four commercial passenger airliners to be used in suicide attacks on the World Trade Center Towers, the Pentagon and at least one other target which was saved by a group of heroic passengers and crew on the fourth airliner. Despite hazardous conditions created by these attacks and at great personal peril, officers from this agency responded to our neighbors in New York during their darkest hour. A resolution of respect and gratitude was sent to the police department on behalf of the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Middlesex County. The plaque appears in our lobby today.
September 22, 2001 was the day James Deery and Jaclyn DelPlato are hired as full time dispatchers. Deery is also an auxiliary officer within the township since September of 1995.

September 29, 2001 was the day Todd Grossman was hired as a dispatcher.

October 22, 2001: The scare of anthrax grips the nation as letters containing the bacteria are mailed to Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and NBC’s Tom Brokaw. The letters past through the mail facilities in Hamilton Township Mercer County NJ and contaminate people and sorting equipment. The letters are dated 9-11-01. South Brunswick Police are equipped with portable containers in their vehicles to handle possible contaminated mail. Suspicious mail calls go on for months. Two teens for the South Brunswick High School are jailed in an anthrax hoax directed at school officials.

On November 29, 2001 one teen in the above hoax pleads guilty.

December 06, 2001: The South Brunswick Township council members followed through on their agreement to create the position of Deputy Police Chief. Members voted 3-1 to create the second-in-command position. “I’m not going to be voting on this, ” Mayor Deborah Johnson said prior to casting the lone dissenting vote.” I don’t believe we need a deputy chief. We should use the money for additional patrol officers, “Johnson said.

On December 28, 2001 Captain Frederick Thompson is sworn in as the department’s first Deputy Police Chief at 2:00pm. Thompson also becomes the Deputy Director of the Office of Emergency Management. As Deputy Director he informs and updates the township employees and residents of the current national threat level and provides resources to assist government agencies, individuals, families, neighborhoods, schools and businesses via e-mail, South Brunswick Television (SBTV) and Viking Television Network (VTN).

January 11, 2002 was the day Lt. Mark Montagna is promoted to Captain; Sgt. Raymond Hayducka is promoted to Lieutenant. Ptl. Michael Kushwarra is promoted to Sergeant, as is Ptl. Joseph Charmello. Sgt. Kevin Hughes is promoted to Lieutenant in a swearing in ceremony this date at 3:30pm.

February 1, 2002: 41 year veteran, founder of the South Brunswick Police Department and former Chief Fred Holsten passed away. “He was a very good man to work for and with. He was a good Chief,” said Chief Frank Simmons.

On April 2, 2002 the department hired Michael Ransom as a part-time dispatcher. He came to us from East Brunswick Trans-Med as an E.M.T. Also hired dispatchers were Patrick Bielak and Patricia Fodor.

April 27, 2002 was the day the 10th annual child ID day kicked off headed by community policing’s Chris Slovensky.

May 2, 2002: A county-wide gun buy-back program commences in which persons wishing to surrender firearms may do so and collect $60.00 for handguns, $40.00 for rifles and shotguns and $100.00 for assault rifles.

Also on this day perseverance paid big dividends for SBPD Detective James Kinard and other local officers after they seize 170 lbs of marijuana bound for New York City and arrest and charge the man who allegedly arranged the shipment. Kinard, posing as the warehouse manager led the investigation.

May 17, 2002 was the day Joseph Murray was hired as a dispatcher.

May 29, 2002 was the day Richard Bruno was hired as a dispatcher.

May 18, 2002 Out of 300 applicants qualified to take the police entrance examination, 270 took it. “Many more women than typical came to take the test this around,” said Detective James Ryan.

May 23, 2002: 4- year veteran Patrolwoman Susan Gerdes spots a despondent woman on the Amtrak north-east corridor train tracks around mile marker 39 lying across the rails. Gerdes and other officers pull the woman off the tracks just moments before a high-speed train passes. Amtrak trains normally use the route going approximately 125 mph.

May 29, 2002 was the day Bryan Fromkin was hired as a dispatcher/

September 2, 2002 was the day Carin Spragg was hired as a part-time police dispatcher.

September 8, 2002 was the day Eric Murnieks was hired as a part-time police dispatcher.

September 10, 2002 was the day Monica Posteraro was hired as a full-time police dispatcher.

September 12, 2002: The SBPD is awarded $375,000.00 in a “Cops in Schools” federal grant to bring three new officers to the force and shift three more into the schools. If the new officers are hired in 2003 and attend the police academy, the salary is set at $31,338.00. If the academy is completed before hiring, the officer makes $37,515. The grant stipulates each officer assigned to the schools must assigned 75% of their on-duty time.

October 1, 2002: Police say they have witnessed an increase in violent crime during the past year. “It’s a growth community, more people-more problems,” said chief Paquette. Crime statistics will be up next year.

October 11, 2002: The police department’s 2002 National Night Out program received top honors from the National Association of Town Watch. The organization recognizes outstanding National Night Out programs annually. This year, South Brunswick police finished first in the state in the category of municipalities with populations between 15,000 and 49,999. Nationally, South Brunswick finished third. This marks the 12th consecutive year the program has been recognized by Town Watch.

On December 1, 2002 Michael Cleary was hired by the township as a dispatcher. He also is an Auxiliary Police Officer for the town.

January 1, 2003 leads off with a fatal car crash on Finnegans Lane at 0530 hrs. A westbound 1989 Honda Accord crossed over the double yellow line and struck a 1995 Mazda head-on killing the driver of the Honda. The fatality was one of five reported statewide during the holiday.

January 02, 2003: South Brunswick Police begins stepping up its effort to protect the gas tanks of their Crown Victoria patrol fleet from exploding in high-speed, rear-end crashes. A shield that is designed to protect the gas tank from being punctured by shrapnel in a collision is installed in each vehicle. The effort comes in the wake of a crash that killed a New York state trooper last month. The trooper died when his parked cruiser was hit from behind by an out-of-control SUV and both vehicles burst into flames. Each patrol car is taken to a local dealer, one at a time for the installation. The shield is now standard equipment.

January 3, 2003 was the day four new officers join the police force. Former New York Police Officer Robert Fealy, 23 of Old Bridge, John Niper, 26 of Kendall Park (son of retired SBPD Lieutenant Jack Niper), Nathan LaBuda, 23 of Easton Pa., and Matthew Silverman, 23 a former sky marshal for the Transportation Security Administration and a U.S. Capitol police officer. The will be Silverman’s fourth police academy.

Also Chief Paquette plans on having the department reach out more to the community in the year 2003. The agency now has an Internet site to provide more information to residents and also plans to begin courses on homeland security for local groups. The new Internet site at provides residents with an overview of the agency and information on various programs offered locally. “We hope to provide more information to the residents on a daily basis through this site,” said Detective Jim Ryan. A terrorism task force is set in place. To prepare for or prevent a terrorist attack, the police department is working in conjunction with the township and the schools to provide the most up-to-date information through various media outlets, including tip-lines, web-sites, township television stations, phone numbers as well as public outreach programs. The site is constructed and maintained by Ptl. Richard Shin.

On January 30, 2003 Patrolman Laszlo Nyitrai installs E-Z Pass transponders in the department’s fleet vehicles. As of now, the units can only be used on the New Jersey Turnpike.

February 05, 2003 was the day Cynthia DiMonda was hired as a full-time dispatcher. She is currently on the Monmouth Junction First Aid Squad.

In February 2003, the department is trained and issued gas masks. The equipment becomes part of the mandatory patrol gear to be used in the event of any usage of weapons of mass destruction of the airborne type.

March 18, 2003 was the day Sgt. Patrick J. Owens was promoted to Lieutenant and Ptl. Scott Bevensee was promoted to Sergeant. James O’Neill was sworn in as a new officer at 1400 hrs.

On March 30, 2003 at 1327 hrs all municipal employees were advised by Sergeant Glapion that Ptl. Robert Mazza was “off to get a suntan.” In other words he was being called-up for deployment in Iraq joining our forces in the Middle East conflict, “Operation Iraqi Freedom.” Employees are urged to stay in contact with him and to send care packages including “baby wipes”, lip balm and breakfast bars.

On April 17, 2003 the Police Department’s five top officers file suit against the township. Fire Marshall Bob Davidson also files for “falsely accusing the claimants of misappropriating public property for personal gain, illegal conduct, theft and using township property as a family vehicle.” The charges include defamation, libel, slander and damaging the professional reputations of the claimants.

May 12, 2003 was the day recruit Matthew Silverman tendered his resignation, citing personal reasons.

The township has its first A.T.M. installed in the police lobby. It has plans on being used heavily during court nights. Later found out to be not the case, according to Municipal Court employees.

The 2002 figures are out. The crime rate dips in 2002 while violent offenses are up slightly. Chief Paquette says the increase is partly due to a growing South Brunswick population.

On July 09, 2003 1:26 PM all staff in the Police Department receive an e-mail from Chief Paquette announcing the immediate resignation of Officer James O’Neill. Personal reasons were cited.

July 17, 2003 was a sad, shocking day for the department. Retired Traffic Sergeant Barry Spilatore was stricken with a massive heart attack at his place of business in town and passed away. Spilatore had just returned from a golf outing with Detective Joe Boguszewicz and others when the untimely events unfolded. He will be truly missed, but not forgotten.
September 11, 2003: South Brunswick Township Manager Barbara Sacks is moving on. “She resigned Friday (Sept. 5),” said Mayor Frank Gambatese. She is moving on to be the manager of Clifton N.J. “This (Sacks resignation) is the first decision in the 10 months of her employment that I agree with,” said Chief Michael Paquette.

December 03, 2003 was the day Michael Kuchma was sworn in a Police Officer. The ceremony was at 1430 hrs. Kuchma is an Alternate Route student at the Union County Police Academy.

On December 22, 2003 Wilkin Pujols was sworn is as a Police Officer. The swearing in was scheduled for 2:00pm in the Main Meeting Room.

On January 20, 2004 at 10:00am Wayne Canastra was sworn in as a Police Officer for the township.

On January 29, 2004 at 10:23am the Police Department receives an e-mail from Chief Paquette that effectively immediately Wilkin Pujols has resigned from the department.

February 5, 2004: it is learned that a jury will decide whether Sgt. Raymond Hayducka used excessive force when he fatally shot Kyung-Ho La during a mental health evaluation in December of 1999. U.S. District Court Judge Alfred Wolin denied a defense motion for summary judgment. The factual dispute that prevented the judge from granting summary judgment arose from the testimony of expert witnesses on where La was in relation to Sgt. Hayducka at the time of the shooting. A forensic pathologist hired by the plaintiff’s attorney testified that the angle of the gunshot wound indicated that La had been kneeling three feet away from Hayducka with his back to Hayducka when he was shot. A forensic pathologist hired by the defense determined that the angle of the gunshot wound showed La standing or lunging toward Hayducka with a sword. The judge’s decision stems from a federal lawsuit filed by the parents of La in 2000 which alleged Hayducka deprived La of his 14th Amendment protections.

March 18, 2004 10:08AM: The Chief announces: “I have just been informed by Officer LaPoint that he has received orders from the military deploying him to Iraq as a helicopter pilot. His last day of work will be March 25, 2004 and his deployment will be for at least 18 months. I know I speak for all of us when I took the opportunity to let him know how proud we are of him and to keep safe while he serves our country”

After the recent bombings in the Iraqi capital, and now that the Pakistani’s have a “High-Level Target” surrounded in their homeland, the tenor of the area is at a fever’s pitch. Good luck Mike and return safely.

March 19, 2004 was the day Jon Rampacek was hired as a full-time dispatcher. He is from North Brunswick and is a fireman.

April 20, 2004: PFC. Martin Conte gets word that he will be deployed in Iraq for a term of one-year to assist in re-establishing police functions in post-conflict Iraq Conte’s situation is unique. In March of 2003 he researched a Career Enhancement Opportunity through an International Police Programs Information Source. Through the United States Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, DynCorp International FZ-LLC (DIFZ) a CSC Company was seeking individuals with appropriate experience and expertise to participate in an international effort to re-establish police, justice and prison functions in post-conflict Iraq Interested applicants must be active duty, retired or recently separated sworn police officers, correctional officers or experienced judicial experts. Conte will gain hands-on experience in building the trust, confidence and respect of civilians by working with officers from dozens of other nations in establishing police stations and monitoring activities, determining the selection, screening and training processes of police officers, demonstrating police practices and techniques used by democratic societies, advising local police on criminal investigation methods and monitoring their progress, working side-by-side with police officers from around the world and reporting humanitarian violations. Conte is a 25 year veteran with four years of active duty as a U.S. Marine. He specializes in firearms and police tactics. It is still extremely dangerous in Iraq as the June 30th power transition dead-line approaches.

May 1, 2004: The department has announced that PFC’s will now wear two stripes on the sleeves, replacing the “mosquito wings” they have previously had.

May 18, 2004: The Police Department School Resource Officer Program received notification from the National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) that this agency has been selected to receive the Model SRO Agency Award for 2004. NASRO will present the award to the South Brunswick Police SROs in formal recognition during their annual SRO / School Safety Conference in Phoenix AZ, July 26, 2004. The award is awarded annually to one agency within the 50 states that has shown excellence in several areas while implementing or maintaining an SRO program. This agency has shown a willingness to be proactive in their training, comprehensive in their policies, excellence in their daily operation, and has brought recognition for the SRO program in their immediate area, according to NASRO. NASRO Executive Director Curtis Lavarello stated that the selection committee was “impressed by the department’s level of commitment to school safety and the children of the community. Currently there are seven officers and one sergeant assigned to the program; Ptl. Pete Burdick, Pfc. Jeff Karpiscak and Ptl. Joe Halmi are assigned to the middle schools. Ptls. Gene Rickle and John Penney are assigned to the elementary schools. Pfc. Bob Carinci and Ptl. Jeff Russo are assigned to the high school. The unit is supervised by Sgt. Joe Charmello.

On June 09, 2004 Chief Paquette announces the formation of a Domestic Preparedness Unit. The unit is comprised of Detective Giampietro and Officer John Penney. This is described as a collateral assignment and will serve to formalize what both officers have been doing for the last year. He also announces the opportunity given to our agency by both the State of New Jersey and the F.B.I. The South Brunswick Police is one of five departments in New Jersey who have been selected to take part in a program pertaining to computer forensics. Officer Richard Shin has been selected to represent this agency by becoming part of the NJ Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory. The Chief states that this is quite an honor for our agency as this allows us to move forward in the area of computer crime.

On June 15, 2004, Traffic Sergeant Michael Kushwarra announces that as of today, an LED light bar was installed on patrol car 907 for an evaluation by our agency. PFC Dale Owens is responsible for this evaluation and will be submitting a report. Any officer utilizing the vehicle during the evaluation period will submit a short written report to PFC Owens indicating any positive or negative situations that arise from its use to assist him in this assignment. Currently our agency utilizes the Street Hawk light bar on all its marked units with the exception of the low-profile cars. The Street Hawk draws approximately 60 amps of power, putting a tremendous load on the heavy-duty alternator in the vehicle. The LED light bar draws only 6 amps, and although it costs over twice that of the Street Hawk, our agency may see big savings in less maintenance, less patrol car down time for repairs and alternator replacement. On Quasi-duty jobs the patrol car normally sits stationary with its overheads on and all internal electronic components powered up. In the summer, the air conditioner is also on. Loads like this can significantly reduce the life span of the engine charging system and the engine itself. The LED light bar also has a significantly lower profile as compared to the Street Hawk. Hopefully all goes well during this evaluation period.

June 16, 2004, 0700 hrs: Car 907 is totaled in a one-car accident in the Liberty Mall. The vehicle struck a concrete footing supporting the only light stanchion in the parking lot. Evaluations for the new light bar are put on hold until the light bar can be outfitted on another vehicle.

July 15, 2004: The Police Department announced this week that it is accepting applications from citizens to join the South Brunswick Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.). The program educates people about disaster preparedness and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue and disaster medical operations. The training allows C.E.R.T. members to assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event and to take a more active role in preparing their community. The training consists of a 20-hour program over a period of eight weeks.

On August 1, 2004 Sergeant Thomas Glapion retired with twenty-five years of service.

On August 1, 2004, Patrolman Wayne Canastra resigned from this agency. He will be pursuing another law enforcement job with the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

On August 12, 2004, Chief Paquette forwards an e-mail to all staff requesting officers to donate their old body armor vests to a member of the Blue Knights of NJ motorcycle club. The member is spearheading an effort in which he would collect the old armor and send them over to the US troops in Iraq to line the interior of their Humvees. The lining would provide increased protection for the troops utilizing their vehicles.

August 12, 2004 was the day Mark Fellner was brought on board as a part-time dispatcher. He is an EMT in Piscataway NJ.

October 4, 2004 was the day the police department swore in two new officers, Amanda Clenaghan and Dennis Yuhasz Jr. at 0930 hrs.

On October 21, 2004 the Chief sends an e-mail to All Staff stating: “I would like to offer my personal congratulations to all members of our police department for a job well done in attaining the 2004 Best of the Best Award for Central New Jersey Police Departments. This recognition is awarded on an annual basis through the Home News and Tribune (local newspaper). It is truly an honor to be part of an organization that sets the standard for law enforcement. Once again, congratulations and thanks for a great job.”

On October 25, 2004 it is learned that the South Brunswick Police Department has again distinguished itself. The department has been notified by the National Association of Town Watch that it placed second in the national competition for towns between 15,000 and 49,999 citizens. There are eight categories based either on the town’s population and/or whether or not it is a military base or utility company. Ten agencies from New Jersey were recognized for their work, but the SBPD were the highest placed agency for all of New Jersey in any of the categories. …”This award reflects on all of us and the township in general in a very positive way. Thank you and keep up the great work… Chief Paquette.”

On October 27, 2004 after her second day in the police academy Amanda Clenaghan announced her immediate resignation. The Chief authorizes the detective bureau to begin the background investigation on the next candidate immediately.

November 15, 2004 was the day the Township Council unanimously approved an ordinance that will change the educational requirements for individuals seeking to take the police entrance examination in South Brunswick The ordinance will make applicants with at least 60 college credits eligible to apply to work at the South Brunswick Police Department. Before the ordinance was adopted, applicants needed to have at least an associate’s degree to be eligible to apply. The ordinance will make individuals who have completed two full years of schooling, but may have attended a four-year school and not received an associate’s degree, eligible to apply to the South Brunswick Police Department. The Township Council passed the ordinance in hopes that applicants will further their education while working in their chosen field. When the ordinance was introduced in October, Councilman Chris Killmurray said he supported it because it would increase the applicant pool. Township Manager Matt Watkins said that the ordinance had the approval of the police union. The ordinance will go into effect December 5.

December 20, 2004 was the day Eric A. Buraszeski was sworn in as a police officer. He took the oath at 10:30am in the Main Meeting Room of the Municipal Building.

January 4, 2005: Chief Michael Paquette holds his annual state of the department address and announces his plans to retire at the end of March. Paquette said he is urging Township Manager Matt Watkins to hire Deputy Chief Frederick Thompson for the chief’s job.

January 14, 2005: A new method for testing whether an individual was driving while under the influence becomes a reality for the department as the Alcotest 7110 now becomes available. The Breathalyzer 900 and 900A are no longer in service and have been removed by the NJSP. The Stephenson Model 900 has been used by the department since February 16, 1970.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005: The Township Council unanimously approves a new four year contract for 2004 to 2007 for ranking township police officers, retroactive to January 1, 2004. The pay scale includes a 3.5% increase each year of the contract. The contract calls for first year sergeants to receive $82,512 in 2005, $85,538 in 2006 and $88, 727 in 2007. The rank of first year sergeant did not exist until 2005. Sergeants would receive $84, 093 in 2004, $87,036 in 2005, $90,082 in 2006 and $93,235 in 2007. Sergeants first class would receive $86,093 in 2004, $89,036 in 2005, 92,082 in 2006 and $95,235 in 2007. Lieutenants would receive $93,841 in 2004, $97,049 in 2005, $100,369 in 2006 and $103,806 in 2007. Captains would receive $103,225 in 2004, $106,754 in 2005, $110,406 in 2006 and $114, 187 in 2007.

March 15, 2005 was the day PFCs Jeff Karpiscak and Andrew Hubbard were promoted to Sergeant.

March 22, 2005 was the day Chief Michael Paquette said he will seek the Republican nomination for state General Assembly. Paquette plans on running alongside incumbent Assemblyman Bill Baroni of Hamilton for one of two 14th District Assembly seats. “I feel it will be really fun to serve the people in the 14th District in a different capacity than I do now.”…Chief Michael D. Paquette. Paquette has three main goals if elected, property tax reform, improving ethics in state government and putting an end to the Route 92 project.

March 24, 2005, a memo is generated from PFC Robert Weiler of the Traffic Safety Bureau. “Effective Friday March 25, through March 27, 2005 White Pine Road will be closed form the hours of 8:00 PM to 7:00 AM. The closure will be at the bridge at the South Brunswick and East Brunswick Township line. This is due to a species of salamander that will be crossing the roadway.”

March 31, 2005, 12:58 hrs was the day that Chief Paquette announced that Deputy Chief Frederick Thompson will be promoted to the position of Chief of Police this afternoon at 3:00 pm. The ceremony took place in the Main Meeting Room of the Municipal Building.

March 31, 2005, 1401 hrs: Chief Paquette writes a farewell e-mail to all Police Department Staff. “To all South Brunswick Police Employees, it is with mixed emotions that I write my last correspondence to you before I officially retire. All I can say is that it has been one heck of a ride over the last twenty seven years. Not many people are blessed to have led the most dynamic and professional police department in the State of New Jersey I will take those memories with me and cherish them for the rest of my life. I just wanted to thank all of you for your loyalty throughout the years and to let you know it will never be forgotten. All I can say in closing is to thank each and every employee for their dedication and to keep up the great work. Chief Michael D. Paquette.

One week after being sworn in as Chief of Police, Frederick Thompson handed in his resignation effective September 1, 2005, he will lobby to have Capt. Mark Montagna take over as Chief upon his departure.

On Tuesday April 5, 2005 at 2:30 PM a Departmental Meeting was held with Chief Thompson who personally thanked each member of the Police Department for their hard work and dedication and opened a forum for discussion. PBA representatives attempted to open dialog with the Chief concerning staffing issues and the lack of manpower the department is experiencing. According to PBA President Martin Conte the discussion was not received well by the Chief.

On April 12, 2005 about 55 members of the South Brunswick Police Department asked the Township Council to hire 10 more officers over the next two years and change the hiring selection process. Currently the department has 76 members. According to FBI guidelines, 2.7 officers are recommended for every thousand members of the population, which should bring the Police Department’s membership total to 96. PBA Local 166 and FOP Lodge 51 also want changes in hiring requirements, including making active military duty equivalent to college credit and giving preference to those who have completed police academy training. They are also asking for the entrance exam to be rescheduled. Township Manager Matt Watkins said he will schedule a meeting with both unions to discuss the recommendations. Mayor Frank Gambatese said the Township Council will consider including money in this year’s budget for additional officers. “We want to give the motions you brought before us serious consideration,” Mayor Gambatese said. Chief Thompson stated he did not feel that making changes to the hiring ordinance was appropriate at this time, as current applicants were well into the process.

April 19, 2005 was the day John Sweeney was sworn in as Police Officer in a ceremony at 1430 hrs in the Main Meeting Room. Sweeney will attend the Police Academy in Monmouth County NJ.

April 20, 2005: In an unexpected move, the police entrance examination scheduled for May 23 has been postponed indefinitely by Township Manager Matt Watkins.

May 5, 2005: The Township has begun to consider establishing a Law Enforcement Advisory Panel. The panel is in response to PBA and FOP concerns on the lack of police officers and recruitment issues. According to Township Manager Matthew Watkins, the panel will hold monthly meetings between police and township officials. Deputy Mayor Carol Barrett said consideration of an advisory panel is extremely important for morale and to better run the township. Mayor Frank Gambatese however had major problems with the potential establishment of an advisory panel. The idea of the panel, according to Gambatese, hearkens back to 1997 and the commission form of government. That type of panel does not currently fit into South Brunswick’s form of government, Gambatese said. And that kind of micromanagement of a department is one he will not support. “I will vote against it,” Gambatese said.

May 12, 2005: The Township Council will hold off on creating a police advisory commission designed to improve communication between the township and Police Department. The council tabled an ordinance that would have created the commission because of issues regarding its legality. The hold was established after several residents expressed opposition for various reasons. Township Attorney Don Sears said he didn’t know when the ordinance would be on the agenda again.

May 26, 2005: Each employee of the South Brunswick Police Department received a “Police Chief Selection Survey” from Township Manager Matthew Watkins. “I am asking for your input into the selection of the next South Brunswick Police Chief by completing the survey below. While I am not asking for you to sign your name to this survey, I am asking that you provide honest and forth-right answers to these few questions and add whatever else you believe I should know. This is your time for input. I hope you accept the opportunity.”

1. Please select the ten items that value most in a police chief. Place numbers by your ten selected items in order of importance (1= most important and 10= least important) Choose only ten items:

___Strategic planning skills

___Experience with community oriented policing

___Educational qualifications (college degrees)

___Length of law enforcement experience

___Experience in university-city relationships

___Collective bargaining skills

___Community involvement

___Honesty and integrity

___Involvement in daily department activities

___Accessibility to the public

___Written and verbal communications skills

___Innovative crime prevention skills

___Fiscal affairs and budgetary skills

___Relations with other law enforcement agencies

___Experience in a multicultural community

___Computer technology skills

___Affirmative action record

___Ability to effect organizational change


2. What issues would you like for the new police chief to address in the first year of his tenure?

3. Please list two questions you would like for me to consider when interviewing candidates.

4. Other comments and suggestions.

This is truly a first for this agency.

June 9, 2005: The Township Council is expected to introduce an ordinance on the 14th that would change testing requirements and eligibility for township police recruits. If the ordinance is adopted, less weight would be given to the written portion of the tests given to prospective officers. In addition, military service would count as college credits; a change police have said would open the door to a higher number of qualified recruits. Currently, recruits are ranked by their performance on written, physical and oral exams, with the written portion accounting for 100% of a recruit’s total weighted score. If adopted, the written exam would account for 70% of the recruits’ total weighted score and the oral exam would account for the other 30%. The proposal would also change how college credits are used in the application process. Currently a recruit must have 60 college credits. Under the changes, the requirements would be 60 college credits or four years of military service. The ordinance was drafted after Township Manager Matthew Watkins met with union presidents Gary Luck (FOP) and Martin Conte (PBA).

June 14, 2005: The Township Council decided to table the ordinance until June 28, because Township Attorney Don Sears made some changes to the wording in a proposed draft. The council also requested that the presidents of the two police unions sign an agreement stating they approve of the hiring changes. Councilwoman Carol Barrett raised concerns that the changes were being made without the official approval of the unions. While the ordinance was drafted after meeting between union officials and the Township Manager, Barrett said the unions should agree to the changes in writing. She said the council adopted an ordinance in November governing college credits. She said that, at the time, she was told the unions agreed with the changes only to have officers pack the township meeting several months later. The rest of the council agreed and unanimously voted to table the ordinance.

June 27, 2005 was the day Stephanie Rampacek was hired as a dispatcher.

July 14, 2005: With the necessary signatures in place, the Township Council has introduced the ordinance that changes the requirements for township police recruits. The ordinance changes the way police tests are graded, giving less weight to the written and more to the oral portion of the exam. The written portion currently accounts for 100% of a recruits score. The ordinance lowers that to 70% and makes the oral portion worth 30%. In addition, the ordinance changes the composition of the panel that gives the oral exam. Currently it consists of the township manager, the township police chief, operations captain and two other officers with the rank of captain or higher. If the ordinance is adopted, the panel would be chosen by the township manager 10 days prior to the exam and would include the manager or his designee and four township police officers of any rank. Choosing the officers would be at the discretion of the township manager. The ordinance also allows for four years of active military service to count as fours years of college credits.

July 21, 2005: Township Manager Matt Watkins is in the process of hiring a new police chief. He plans to announce his selection by August. According to Watkins, candidates’ resumes and evaluations are being reviewed. Prospective candidates will also submit in written form, a description of their vision for the police department. Only lieutenants and captains are eligible for the position.

August 09, 2005: Regulations regarding how police recruits are hired in the township have changed. The Township Council adopted the ordinance that will change the scale of the entrance exam and the people who administer the oral exam, and will allow military service to count as college credits.

August 11, 2005: Township Manager Matt Watkins has made his choice for the position of Chief of Police. 16-year veteran, Lt. Raymond Hayducka, 38, has been picked to lead the Police Department’s 78 sworn officers and serve as its sixth chief. Hayducka will be officially sworn in on September 01, 2005 at 1400. After the announcement, Hayducka addressed the crowd in attendance, and then spoke individually with the civilian staff, followed by the sworn staff. In the next few weeks, Hayducka plans on meeting with every police employee individually to address concerns, comments and possible ideas during the restructuring of the department.

August 23, 2005 was the day Roger Tuohy, 28 of Bayonne and Ken Herman, 30 from NJDOC were sworn in as police officers. The swearing in took place at 1415 hrs in the municipal building.

August 31, 2005: The panic alarms installed throughout the police wing of the municipal building are finally operational, sending the appropriate alarm into dispatch for alert

September 1, 2005: Lt. Raymond J. Hayducka was sworn in as the department’s seventh Chief of Police in a private session with the Township Manager at 0830 hrs. This was done immediately upon Watkins’ reporting for work. Watkins said he was confident he made the right choice in his selection for chief. “This is one of the finest departments in the state of New Jersey and it’s important that we carry on what has been started here many years ago at the same level. I think that we’ve come up with a chief who will continue the long-standing tradition,” he said.

The new Chief’s first official act was to disband Department’s Terrorism Task Force, occurring at 0837 hrs. We still retain two officers as liaisons for any terrorism related issues.

At 1400 hrs at the Senior Center, a formal swearing in ceremony took place in which over 150 persons were in attendance.

Hayducka is received warmly by the men and women who serve underneath him. Hayducka’s vision statement states in part that “The South Brunswick Police Department is an organization that values its employees and the community they serve. We will provide community service to the highest possible standards by preventing crime, enforcing the law, preserving the peace, protecting property, investigating crime and traffic enforcement. The agency will treat our employees and our citizens with dignity and respect, continually meeting their needs through effective service and problem solving. We will meet the needs of the community by delivering progressive and cost effective law enforcement services, maintain high standards of excellence utilizing training and technology, identify and meet the challenges of our increasingly diverse community, seeking input for the citizenry and employees and by maintaining a safe community through crime prevention, aggressive traffic and criminal law enforcement.”
Hayducka’s philosophy takes a “back to basics approach” with an emphasis on service, citizenry, quality work, respect, problem solving and sincere commitment to the needs of the Township of South Brunswick.
During his speech, Chief Hayducka unveiled up coming promotions, slated for the 15th of September.
Officers are glad to hear of this and now have a sense of direction, confidence and security knowing that now they can do what they do best, police work… and according to many veteran officers, this change was way overdue. “We really need a sense of direction.”

September 3, 2005: 0630 a call is received by dispatch that a dog was struck on Deans-Rhode Hall Rd by the turnpike overpass. Sgt. Karpiscak arrives to find out that the “dog” is actually a coyote not indigenous to the area, and is still alive. Animal Control Officer John Hunt arrives and removes the animal. “Now I have to do a ton of research on this thing and make a bunch of phone calls,” says Hunt.

Later in the shift Middlesex County Office of Emergency Management calls to find out if our department has adequate man power to head down to New Orleans, Louisiana to assist in the largest natural disaster to ever hit the United States of America, Hurricane Katrina which fell upon New Orleans on August 29, 2005, virtually flooding the entire city. Chief Hayducka was summoned and advised them we will staff the job with Sgt. Karpiscak and PFC Martin Conte to be available to head down. The two prepare, stocking up on MRE’s and survival gear. They await word for deployment.

September 6, 2005 was the first day of school for township children. Chief Hayducka advised the School Resource Officers that they would now fall under the Juvenile Bureau, supervised by Sgt. Mark Domino. Domino now will become an SRO and will need to be certified to teach D.A.R.E.

On September 8, 2005, the Chief advises all uniformed personnel that they now have the option of wearing either a white crew neck or a white v-neck undershirt under their uniform shirt.

On September 8, 2005 is was announced that the Police Department is looking for high school and college-age student interested in becoming police officers and is offering to give them a taste of police work. Interested students will get the chance to join Explorer Post 166, a subset of the Boy Scouts of America Learning of Life wing. Applicants need not be Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. The Explorer Post has been sponsored by the Police Department for the last 10 years.

On September 9, 2005 a line painting company arrived at headquarters and painted the police fleet lot. Each vehicle now has an assigned spot so Sergeants, Officers and Public Works can quickly identify vehicles. We have been asking for this for years. (It gets crazy wandering around the rear lot looking for your assigned vehicle.) There are a lot of patrol cars and the parking lot is just big enough to accommodate them all, so it is imperative that officers return the vehicles to their assigned stalls. One “slip-up” is all it will take to create trickle-down bedlam. Officers jokingly inquire if they can “personalize” their stalls.

On September 13, 2005, Chief Hayducka calls for a Department Meeting. He advises sworn and non-sworn personnel of his vision and its explanation and of his philosophy. He also states that some bureaus may be moved and restructured, and in the process some clerical positions previously vacated will not be filled. The Chief puts Lt. Patrick J. Owens as acting Captain overseeing patrol operations, Sgt. Gary J. Luck as acting Lt. in the capacity of B Squad Patrol Division Commander, Lt. Kevin J. Hughes as A Squad Patrol Division Commander and Sgt. Edward George as acting Lt. of Investigations.
The Chief also laid out his plans regarding patrol vehicle attrition. Hayducka stated as the vehicles are replaced, new black and white units will take over, giving the department a new look. Ptl. Laszlo Nyitrai is in charge of the new vehicle designed which was unveiled at the meeting.

Also, it was explained that Evidence Officer, PFC Greg Rule will now have added responsibilities and will begin assisting in investigations. “And so with that, I’m promoting Greg to Detective… right now. Greg, come up and get your gold badge!” said Chief Hayducka. The Chief reaches into his pocket and pulls out the badge still in its wrapper as a stunned Greg Rule comes up from the rear of the meeting room. He is given a thunderous ovation and receives congratulatory hand shakes from his peers.

On September 15, 2005 at 1500 hrs, Chief Hayducka promoted Lt. Patrick J. Owens to Captain, Sgt. Gary J. Luck to Lt., Sgt. Edward George to Lt. and PFCs Lloyd Oertel and William Grischuk to the rank of Sergeant. We move on with tradition and honor.

On September 17, 2005 at 0630 hrs, Sgt. Jeff Karpiscak and PFC Martin Conte roll out of headquarters and head to Sayreville PD to muster with other officers heading down to Louisiana They meet and are advised they will be part of Operation L.E.A.D. (Louisiana Emergency Assistance Deployment) which officially began September 3, 2005. The operation was organized and directed by the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management. More than 600 personnel from across New Jersey, including local and state law enforcement officers, water rescue technicians, hazmat personnel, decontamination personnel, medical support personnel and others will respond. Their designation is Task Force II, Strike Team III. Their tour will be approximately two-weeks. L.E.A.D.’s primary mission in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is to lend support to the citizens of Louisiana and other agencies by way of staffing, expertise, assets and coordination to ensure that a systematic approach to recovering from the devastation is achieved.

September 20, 2005 was the day Joann Phillips was hired as a part-time telecommunications operator.

September 22, 2005 the local newspapers run the headline, “SROs pulled from grade schools.” Chief Hayducka has ended the elementary school portion of the SRO because federal funding for the SROs is no longer available and because he wants to put more officers on patrol. School Superintendent Gary McCartney said he would like to keep the program intact, but he can understand the chief’s concerns. “I am hopeful that there will be no further intrusions into the program and we can move forward with what we have. Some folks might be disappointed but this is something the district has no control over. And any decision the township Police Department makes I will trust is in the best interest of the township,” he said. The chief said that if funding can be found for the program he would reinstate the program in the elementary schools. The South Brunswick Post newspaper supported the chief’s decision in an editorial. Only one resident expressed concern.

September 29, 2005 at 0330 hrs, Sgt. Jeff Karpiscak and PFC Martin Conte return from Operation L.E.A.D. The were a part of a team consisting 148 police officers, medical and decontamination personnel who patrolled New Orleans’ Second and Sixth police districts. They also helped to close out over 8,000 unanswered 9-1-1 calls from the day the levees broke and flooded the city, and assisted as armed escorts for the FEMA DEMORT teams engaged in body recovery operations. “In the time of greatest need, New Jersey helped New Orleans turn the corner,” acting Governor Richard J. Codey stated. “When I visited that devastated city, New Orleans’ leaders offer great praise for the high level of training and skill shown by New Jersey’s law enforcement officers” Attorney General Peter C. Harvey added, “New Jersey’s responders have made a significant impact in Louisiana. It’s a testament to their training and character that have been able to help the state and its citizens, and we are grateful for their courage, selflessness and dedication. We extend them our thanks and we are grateful for their safe return. New Jersey State Police Superintendent Colonel Rick Fuentes said, “This was an enormous mission with operations ranging from search and rescue, to patrols of the city streets, to emergency medical services. We distributed water and meals ready-to-eat, to meet peoples’ basic needs. Many times, a person’s first point of contact turned out to be a New Jersey law enforcement officer.” Sgt. Karpiscak agreed. “We came upon an individual who apparently kept himself in his residence, ignoring evacuation orders. This man had no electricity, no water, no food, nothing. His name is Lance Hill.” It turns out he is an adjunct professor of history and director of a pro-tolerance program at Tulane University. Hill moved to Louisiana to specifically do anti-Klan work and labor organizing and is widely credited with leading a grassroots campaign in the early 1990’s that stopped David Duke’s most serious insurgency into American electoral politics. “We had turned the corner onto Hurst St and saw a car I had recognized from a story run by CNN a week early. The car had the word ‘aid’ and crosses spray painted on all four sides. The man (Hill) was delivering Pedialyte, diapers and formula for the babies trapped in the Superdome in the days following the levee breaks when he was practically run out of town by local authorities. Hill stated the police shot at him, not to kill, but to scare him out of town under the mandatory evacuations. Hill refused and stayed in the city delivering as much help as possible to the evacuees. Lance was sitting outside his house with a candle lit. As I approached him, he became nervous and began retreating until I spoke to him. Hill thought we (Marty and I) were there to forcibly remove him from the city. Hill was grateful stating that we were the only two people to talk to him and hear his side of the story since the hurricane. After about an hour we gave him all the food and water he needed and made arrangements for an elderly couple he was caring for. We checked on him periodically and at our last contact prior to heading home we gave him a few trinkets from the South Brunswick Police Department. Hill said he will keep the South Brunswick Police Department in his heart forever.”

October 6, 2005: the latest statistics are out. The Police Department has issued 1,040 traffic tickets in September, a 291 percent increase from September 2004 when 266 tickets were issued. The increase in tickets prompted the Township Council to discuss the possibility of hiring a third municipal judge so that the municipal court does not get backlogged. The increase in tickets is due to Chief Hayducka’s Proactive Saturation Traffic Enforcement Detail. The goal of the program is to put a number of officers in a specific area, as small as a half mile, and saturate the area with enforcement and then move randomly to another location in town. The areas of town are chosen based on concerns from citizens, known trouble spots and heavy traffic locations.

On November 21, 2005 the Police Department was selected as a national award winner for its’ video submission about the “22nd Annual National Night Out.” Members of the district’s Viking Television Network worked with the Police Department to film portions of National Night Out and edit footage into the winning submission. The submission took third place nationally.

December 22, 2005 was the day four new officers were sworn in to the department. Ryan Bonura, 23 of North Brunswick Twp, NJ, Jason Gassman, 33 of Bradley Beach, NJ, Michael Leung, 23 of Jamesburg, NJ and Joseph Marrero, 37 of East Brunswick Twp, NJ. All have previous police employment, and after getting familiar with the township roadways and boundaries will supplement the force in a timely fashion.

On January 4, 2006 a New Jersey Appellate Court decided that Ptl. Steven Walrond can sue the county for damages incurred as a result being struck by lightning while on duty at the Somerset Police Academy on August 13, 2001 The decision overturned a previous Superior Court ruling. Walrond was not paid by the academy so cannot be considered an employee subject to the Worker’s Compensation Act, the Appellate Court ruled. The decision reverses a Superior Court opinion that found Walrond to be a “special employee” of the academy whose only remedy was worker’s comp. Walrond was struck by lightning while working as a trainer at the academy. The bolt struck the metal badge on his uniform hat and caused other metal objects on his body, including his chest badge to burn his body. It also caused a stroke that partially paralyzed the right side of his body. Walrond also underwent several surgeries for a ruptured eardrum. In an affidavit, Walrond says academy officials were negligent when they instructed recruits and trainers to run in the rain and then to remove a flag from a flagpole during a storm. Walrond is back to work for the department, but he is on “modified duty” or non-patrol duty and still suffers from weakness

On February 10, 2006 Chief Hayducka advises all personnel that Lt. Kevin Hughes is now the Acting Deputy Chief.

February 14, 2006 was the day George Vit was sworn in as a Patrolman. This addition brings the total number of sworn officers to 82, which is the highest in the history of the agency. Mr. Vit is a recent graduate of the Somerset County Police Academy and formerly a North Plainfield Police Officer. He is an Edison resident and a graduate of the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He is also a Sergeant in the Army National Guard, completing a one year tour of duty in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He received two Army Achievement Medals while serving. Mr. Vit is also fluent in Czech.

February 21, 2006 was the day Lt. Kevin Hughes was promoted to the rank of Deputy Chief. Also taking oaths were Sgt. James Kinard to the rank of Lieutenant and Detective John McNamara to the rank of Sergeant.

March 9, 2006, the department unveils its newest member of the police fleet. Car 922 is the traditional iconic black-and-white vehicle. One by one the current blue and white vehicles will be replaced by this paint scene. Under the replacement plan, it will take about three years to entirely replace the 33 car fleet. Additional features will include a lower profile LED overhead light bar and a small metal cage on the inside of the rear windows designed to protect the windows from damage caused by suspects. Also added are the words, “To Protect and Serve,” on the rear quarter panel and an American flag just behind the rear doors on the c-pillar. The police unions volunteered to pay for the flags. On September 11, 2001 all the marked patrol cars had American flags on the c-pillars, affixed by assigned officers to their respective vehicles.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 part-time patrolman from 1957 to 1980, George H. Kirby passed away at his home in Milford, Del. He was 77.

March 26, 2006 was the day Richard Domotor was hired as a part-time telecommunications operator. Rich comes from a long line of law enforcement.

March 30, 2006 it is reported in the press that last week a federal judge dismissed a civil lawsuit against Police Chief Raymond Hayducka as part of a settlement agreement between the township and the family of Kyung-Ho La, a man killed by police in self-defense on December 20, 1999. As part of the agreement, the township will pay $115,000.00 to the victim’s parents. The township settled the suit because going to trial would have cost more than the settlement. “(Chief Hayducka) is exonerated from any civil liability as a result of the settlement, “Jack Venturi, (Hayducka’s attorney) said. He estimated that the township already has spent about $500,000.00 on legal costs. The Police Department and seven other officers originally named in the lawsuit when it was filed in 2000 were later dropped from the suit. “Sometimes it can take years before everyone can know you were justified in what you did,” police spokesman Detective James Ryan said.

April 1, 2006 the minimum manpower for the “3” shift (1400-0030) has been raised to six officers.

April 3, 2006 was the day in which Sergeant Scott Williams assumed the position as Sergeant of the Support Services Bureau, as Sergeant Joseph Charmello was transferred to Sergeant of the Traffic Bureau.

April 4, 2006 was the day Matthew Schmidt was hired as a part-time telecommunications operator. He is also a fireman in East Windsor, NJ.

May 1, 2006 was the day Louis Braconi was hired as the Public Safety Telecommunicator Supervisor. Louis was previously a Police Officer in North Brunswick, NJ having recently retired after 26 years of service. Some of his assignments there included Records Bureau Supervisor, Computer Systems Coordinator, 9-1-1 Coordinator, CJIS TAC Officer, Evidence Officer, and Detective Sergeant.

June 1, 2006 was the day Andrew VanEmburgh and Ryan Degraw were hired as part-time telecommunications operators. VanEmburgh is a fireman in Sayreville, NJ and Degraw is a fireman in East Brunswick, NJ.

July 1, 2006: Patrolman Joseph Halmi was assigned as a Detective in the Juvenile Bureau. Halmi was a School Resource Officer.

July 13, 2006: The Township Council is preparing to introduce an ordinance that would create a third captain position within the department. Lt. Harry Delgado is to be named the new captain once the ordinance is adopted. The new position will cut down on overtime for the lieutenants, allow for more officers to be put on the road and also help to provide more guidance to officers and continue to grow as the township’s population does. “The additional captain would allow us to provide the focus and direction the council set a year ago,” Chief Hayducka said.

On July 17, 2006 there was a restructuring of the police department. Captain Mark Montagna is reassigned as the Operations Captain and will be in charge of the Patrol Division. Captain Patrick J. Owens is reassigned as the Detective Captain in charge of the Investigative Division. Acting Captain Harry Delgado is assigned to be charge of the Administrative Command in charge of Support Services.

On August 1, 2006 the minimum manpower on all midnight shifts is now raised to six.

On September 7, 2006 the Police Department creates a gang unit to keep tabs on the growing number of gang members moving from cities into the township. An increase in graffiti “tags” as well as common knowledge prompted the creation of the unit. “It would be naïve to say there is no gang activity. We’re not going to put our heads in the sand. There is a gang presence in every community and we’re no different,” said Detective James Ryan. The Gang Intelligence Unit is led by Ptl. Jeff Russo.

September 8, 2006: Detective James Stoddard was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, Sergeant Joseph Charmello was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in charge of Support Services and Lieutenant Harry Delgado is officially promoted to the rank of Captain in charge of the Administrative Command overseeing Support Services. Sergeant Patrick O’Brien was transferred from patrol midnights to Traffic to fill the vacancy created by Charmello.

September 14, 2006 was the day Brooke Hackworth and Cassandra Heffner were hired as part-time telecommunications operators.

September 20, 2006 it was announced that Patrol Officer Susan (Gerdes) Rausch was assigned to Investigations as a Detective. She is the first female Detective in the history of the agency.

September 21, 2006 was the day Michael Hallman and Monica Posteraro were sworn in as police officers. Posteraro was a full-time telecommunications operator for this agency and was hired September 10, 2002. Michael joined the United States Air Force and he was a Security Forces Investigator prior to getting hired by South Brunswick Police Department. The swearing in took place on the 21st at 1530 hrs in the township main meeting room.

September 22, 2006: The first gang-related shooting occurs within the township. No one was hurt in the noon “drive-by” incident, but two arrests were quickly made with the assistance of the newly established Gang Intelligence Unit.

October 30, 2006: The department conducted two weeks of special training days to introduce two Use of Force tools to our officers. The first tool to be replaced was the department issued Monadnock PR-24, a fixed length side handled baton. It has been in use in the agency for over 15 years, (replacing the straight baton with steel “sternum breaker” which replaced the classic wooden “night-stick”). Our officers, over the years, were asking for an impact weapon that was more compact, could be stored on the duty belt at all times, and easier to maneuver. The research was conducted and the Monadnock Expandable Baton #9025 (or MEB) was selected. Response from officers to this new toll has been overwhelmingly positive.

The second tool to be replaced and upgraded was the department issued OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) spray. Until this month, our officers carried the CAP-STUN formulation model #305 of OC made by the Zarc Company It was an oil-based OC with an alcohol propellant that delivered approximately 1.5 million Scoville Heat Units in aerosol form. The new OC spray is also a Zarc product called VEXOR. It is also oil-based but it’s delivered in a spiral stream thereby reducing cross-contamination of officers who deploy it. The propellant is not alcohol based, and therefore not flammable. At 15 million Scoville Heat Units, it is also the most powerful formulation available. More heat means less resistance from subjects and therefore more safety for our officers.

The sensation of heat that we experience from eating certain peppers is due to a chemical called capsaicin. The more capsaicin present in a pepper, the hotter it will taste. Using the Scoville Heat Index (a system devised to determine how hot foods are), a bell pepper has a value of zero. A pimento has 500 SHUs (Scoville Heat Units), Tabasco Sauce has 5,000 SHUs. The Jalapeno pepper has 8,000 SHUs, Cayenne pepper has 50,000 SHUs, and Scotch Bonnet pepper has a value of 325,000 SHUs. The Habanero pepper has 350,000 SHUs and common pepper spray has a value of 2,000,000 SHUs. Pure capsaicin has 16,000,000 SHUs. Other police departments have had extreme success with this product.

December 31, 2006: Chief Raymond Hayducka says that the police force hopes to reduce the number of motor vehicle accidents and improve the quality of life for township residents in 2007. The department has applied for several grants for 2007 from the state to educate drivers to be more cautious and safe. The Chief also said that the department is going to continue to reach out to community members to help improve the quality of life. The department is also preparing itself for its final New Jersey State Association of Chief’s of Police Department Accreditation Program assessment by having a mock assessment in 2007. Through the program, departments must adopt best practices measures put forth by the association, and addresses issues such as use of force, authority and jurisdiction; recruitment, selection and promotion of personnel, training (investigations, street-survival and technology), discipline and internal affairs. “Studies have shown that through accreditation there are less lawsuits and morale is higher, and there is also a 5 percent reduction in insurance costs, which is significant in a town of South Brunswick’s size,” said Chief Hayducka.

January 9, 2007: During a Township Council meeting, the police department along with the Township Manager, presented a proposal by Captain Patrick J. Owens for upgrading the departments’ computer system which is more than 20 years old, (see February 9, 1984). According to the chief the force would like the township to invest in the Enforsys system to replace the current CPLIMS package. Support for CPLIMS will soon run out, which means that the department will be unable to acquire and install key upgrades and will lose access to technical support from the company, which means that if the system were to ever crash, the department might not be able to get help. This is in addition to the assessment offered by those giving the presentation that the department needed to upgrade to something more modern anyway. “[The current system] has run out its useful life. …In 20 years, it’s served its purpose, but it’s time to get a new system,” said Township Manager Matthew Watkins. The upgrade would take about a year and would cost $678,590.00.

January 18, 2006: The numbers are in and car crashes are down in South Brunswick. Crashes on Routes 1 and 130 were down 50% in November and December from the same time in 2005 chiefly because of increased patrols that an Aggressive Driving grant that the state helped pay for. The grant allowed the township to increase patrols during the end of the year. “In 2005 I made a commitment to add officers to the road and increase enforcement efforts. Our officers have pursued enforcement against the underlying causes of serious and fatal accidents. A grant from the State of New Jersey enabled us to expand our efforts in December. These increased efforts have resulted in safer roadways and lives saved. It is the dedication and commitment by the men and women of the South Brunswick Police Department to make our roadways safer that have produced these results.” said Chief Hayducka. Police have issued 11,076 summonses in 2006, the most in the department’s history and 33.5% more than the 7,366 summonses issued in 2005. The increased enforcement was accompanied by a 25% decrease in fatal accidents as well.

January 18, 2007 was the day Richard Domotor Jr. was hired as a full-time Public Safety Telecommunicator. Richard was previously a part-time Public Safety Telecommunicator for this agency.

February 13, 2007 was the day Christopher Rampacek was hired as a part-time Public Safety Telecommunicator. Christopher is also a fireman in North Brunswick, NJ.

March 5, 2007 was the day Jonathan Myzie and Brittany Kane were hired as part-time Public Safety Telecommunicators. Brittany is also a Public Safety Telecommunicator in Jamesburg, NJ.
On March 27, 2007 five officers were sworn in. Michael Urstadt, a 29 year old Bronx, NY native and a former Health Science teacher, holding a BS Degree. Jessie Blake, a 28 year old from Howell, NJ holding a Master’s Degree and is a Patrol Officer from Mansfield, NJ. Sean Roberts, a 27 year old from Perth Amboy, NJ who holds a BS degree from Rutgers. Ryan Bartunek, a 24 year old Ohio native receiving a BA Degree, and Peter Santa, a 27 year old from Port Murray NJ. He was a dispatcher from Mount Olive PD and holds an Associates Degree. Blake and Roberts are PTC Certified and Bartunek will graduate the Alternate Route Program in June 2007. Urstadt and Santa will be attending a Police Academy.

March 29, 2007: The agency is one of 10 police departments in Middlesex County to receive federal grant monies through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Homeland Security has awarded 2,000 equipment and training grants to first responders across the nation as part of its Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP). The program helps to ensure law enforcement agencies and emergency responders can acquire specialized equipment and training to meet their homeland security mission. Our department as been awarded a Thermal Imager designed for Law Enforcement applications and the training associated with it. As of this date our department has been using a Thermal Imager designed for Fire Fighters through the Office of Emergency Management. The new imager will be our own. Training is slated for May 2007 in New Orleans. As recommended by Chief Hayducka, the three day session will be attended by Sergeant Jeff Karpiscak who has been using the OEM Thermal Imager on his midnight shift. The new unit will be the Bullard TacSight S1.

On April 13, 2007 Lieutenant Gary Luck was promoted to Captain, Sergeant Scott Williams promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and Patrolmen Kevin O’Brien and Robert Weiler were promoted to the rank of Sergeant.

On June 15, 2007 On-Line crime reporting has been activated at The agency wants to eliminate the inconvenience that citizens may have in coming to Police Headquarters to report minor crimes. Citizens can file reports via the Internet any time of the day, from anywhere they have access to a computer. “In order to enhance our service and maximize our resources, we have created a new way to file police reports,” said Chief Hayducka. Currently the following types of incidents are allowed to be reported by electronic filing:
1. Theft
2. Vandalism
3. Car Burglary
4. Lost Property
5. Harassing Phone Calls
6. Financial Crime (credit card / check fraud or fraudulent use of one’s identity).

One of the first reports to be filed was an attempted residential burglary of an occupied dwelling. Education on all ends will be required to make this program successful. The goal is to give people greater convenience and access when filing a police report. “We believe this is the future of policing,” said Captain Patrick J. Owens.

On June 26, 2007 the Chief publicly unveils the departments’ motor unit. It’s been about 72 years since motorcycles patrolled the township and now they’re back. Since 2003 fines for speeding and aggressive driving on Rt. 1 doubled under the Safe Corridors Program. Those fines are earmarked to make the state’s roadways safer. Out of that fund, a $73,000 grant was given to South Brunswick Township to create a motorcycle unit. “The funds generated through increased fines go back to the municipalities for equipment and educational tools to get people to recognize the importance of safety. The money coming from the citizens goes back to the citizens to make the community safer,” said Pam Fischer, Director of the State Division of Highway Traffic Safety. The department has acquired two new Harley Davidson Road King Police Edition motorcycles. PFC Dale Owens and Officer Frank Mongalieri are assigned to them. Already radar summonses have tripled and if the program continues to prove itself, the department may purchase two more units and train two additional officers.

In September, the police department goes to a permanent four-district car plan. The township is now broken into four areas as opposed to the older three-district plan. The move creates a smaller area for individual officers to patrol. The plan also increases the minimum manpower for each shift, assuring more officers on the road to serve the residents with more speed and efficiency. The realignment of the districts does not create any real disruption for the patrol officers who were used to the three-district plan for many years. This is only the third time the districts have been realigned.

On October 17, 2007 the state crime figures were printed in the press. The overall crime in Middlesex County climbed 1.1 percent as statewide figures dropped about two percent. South Brunswick reported a crimes increase of 15.4% to 630 last year from 546 in 2005. Detective James Ryan stated the increase was partly due to the township’s increasing population. Burglaries increased 26.8 percent from 112 in 2005 to 142 in 2006. Larcenies went up 17.1 percent from 357 to 418. In addition domestic violence incidents increased 37.8 percent from 127 to 175. Ryan noted that the statistics were 10 months old and the number of reported incidents appeared to be down this year dropping by over 15 percent so far, which he attributed to a shift in assignments in the department. Also there are no road fatalities this year which can be attributed to the chief’s revamping of road patrols for selective enforcement details.

On October 24, 2007 the department begins familiarization in a new computer aided dispatch system called Enforsys. Enforsys is a fully integrated multi-jurisdictional state-of-the-art decision support system that includes CAD, RMS, and full mobile computing. Enforsys provides a real-time link between agencies, with flexibility and user-friendly features that enables each agency to configure the system to meet their needs, yet jointly respond to events while retaining individual requirements. Enforsys is designed for multi-jurisdictional use. It has reporting flexibility, CAD mapping and call history, information sharing. It is intuitive, secure and user friendly. Enforsys captures data at the point of incident. It provides real time data and queries in the field. It improves productivity and reporting accuracy while reducing overtime. It integrates communication with other agencies databases and shows to reduce operational costs. This will work in parallel with our CPLIMS system which was installed on February 9, 1984, our INFOCOP system which came on board after the original MDC’s (Digicom-870) were replaced with mobile in-car laptops and our in house forms package. The training consisted of a two-hour block with a lot of information disseminated. The officers were advised that the system will go live on November 1, 2007 for them, only when they felt comfortable and prepared. Dispatch is already using the system for a few months now. We are to use the training module to familiarize ourselves with the system and prepare to go into production. Many of the patrol cars do not have the Panasonic Tough-Book laptop in their cars which support Enforsys; they have an older lap top used to support the INFOCOP system. In addition, a new T1 (fiber optic) communication line needs to be run into headquarters to support the system. The T1 line can carry data at a rate of 1.544 megabits per second (60 times more data than a residential modem) which will be a vast improvement from the analog lines now in use. There seems to be a huge jump in technology that we are about to experience in a very short time.

On October 31, 2007 during the dayshift, the CPLIMS system has crashed, and it appears to be down for the count (see January 9, 2007). The licensing agreement has expired and the department can no longer store data it accumulates (reports, summonses, statistics etc.) CPLIMS only works as a read-only system and this sends the department into a spin. It is determined that the entire department will now rely solely on the new Enforsys system to carry on its day-to-day operations.

November 27, 2007 was the day Matthew Skolsky was sworn in as a police officer. He is currently putting himself through the Somerset Police Academy under the Alternate Route Program. He will graduate in December of this year. The Alternate Route Program was designed to give individuals interested in becoming police officers, the opportunity to attend a certified police training academy at their own expense, prior to being hired by a police, sheriff’s or campus police department. Although successful completion of the program does not guarantee a candidate a position in law enforcement, graduates will have received training from a certified police academy and are able to pursue employment as a certified police officer. Basic Police Training is conducted twice a year. The program is approximately 24 weeks in duration. The Somerset County Police Academy is non-residency with trainees attending classes forty hours a week. The total cost of the program is about $4,100.00 and includes:
• Registration fee: $50 (covers written and physical fitness test)

• Processing fee: $300 (due at completion of training)

• Medical, Stress & Psychological exams: $785

• Insurance (liability/health)

• Uniform & Equipment: $1,515

• Tuition: $1,350 (due at completion of training)

The selection criteria and requirements are comprehensive.

“I was always in favor of the program. It shows that the prospective candidate has the interest, drive and motivation in becoming a police officer. It saves the township big bucks in training and provides for a pool of officers that agencies can draw from.” Sgt. J. Karpiscak

November 30, 2007 it was learned that the police gas pumps are going to replaced. The current pumps utilize a magnetic “swipe” card to record the car number. A keypad registers the officer, mileage and activates the pumps. The card system and pumps will be replaced (no software support) with a key system with each car being issued a key. A key system was first used back in August of 1968 and subsequently replaced with the current system.

December 02, 2007: The first snowfall of the season hits the area with flakes starting at 0259 hrs. The snowfall’s first victim: Car 917, slides off the road at 440 hrs.

On January 01, 2008 the adult and juvenile bureaus have consolidated into one investigative unit which will be known as Criminal Investigations under the Command of Captain Patrick J. Owens. The investigative unit consists of two squads of detectives that will handle all types of investigations. Squad A is comprised of Detective Sergeant John McNamara and Detectives Joseph Halmi, James Ryan, Robert Carinci and Ronald Seaman. The will work out the former adult bureau. Squad B consists of Detective Sergeant Mark Domino and Detectives John Klemas, Richard Schwarz and Christopher Giampietro. They find their quarters in the former juvenile bureau.

January 05, 2008: The New Year has its’ first fatal accident. A 39 year old Monmouth Junction man died early in the morning after he lost control and hit a tree on Deans Rhode Hall Road.

January 09, 2008: The new gas pumps are installed. The installer states the “new” system is 15 years old. According to the installer for about $15,000.00 more the township could have purchased a trouble free “gas-station system” guaranteed for life.

February 08, 2008 was the day Sergeant Alan Sondej was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and PFC Leonard Hibbitts and Detective Robert Carinci were promoted to the rank of Sergeant.

On April 25, 2008 it was announced that the department was chosen to receive an award for it’s’ participation in the NJ Law Enforcement Challenge. The department was awarded first place in New Jersey for a Level 7 agency. Level 7 is a designation for agencies that have between 66 and 100 sworn members. The Law Enforcement Challenge is an innovative program that provides an avenue to stimulate traffic law enforcement in a police agency. The program targets three major traffic safety priorities: occupant protection, impaired driving and driving while intoxicated. The department’s application was reviewed and a national panel of judges determined that our agency is the best in our class.

On April 29, 2008 at 10:17pm the Thermal Imager pays big dividends. A missing an endangered juvenile was located in a field in need of immediate medical attention. Sergeant Karpiscak quickly located the child through the use of the imager. The imager has been used on a daily basis in all aspects of patrol work.

May 13, 2008: It took awhile, but after almost 42 years, Ptl. John Gurnovich was formally memorialized on the walls of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington D.C. this night during the 20th Annual Candlelight Vigil. The inscription of John Gurnovich’s name on the wall was spurred on when Ptl. Dale Owens met Dan Hennesy, a Bridgewater police officer last fall. Hennesy is married to Gurnovich’s granddaughter and asked Owens why Gurnovich’s name was not on the wall. The only information to this date that our agency had was that Ptl. John C. Gurnovich died of a heart attack (see May 30, 1966). This information was obtained through newspaper articles of the day. Research by Departmental Historian, Sergeant Jeff Karpiscak shows the police report missing from microfilmed records stored in the Middlesex County Archives Vault. Other police reports prior to and after the date of the incident exist, but this specific one cannot be located. Former Chief Frank College and partner of Gurnovich was contacted and provided a vivid account of the actual incident. On May 30, 1966 Ptl. Gurnovich responded to the Kendall Park bowling alley on Route 27 to investigate a disturbance. Upon arrival, he found two groups of men, one from Trenton and the other from New Brunswick, engaged in a fight. Gurnovich was punched in the chest and struck with a metal pipe as he broke up the scuffle. He went back to headquarters to file the report and began to suffer chest pains. He suffered a heart attack and was taken to Princeton Medical Center where he died on June 12, 1966 at the age of 51. The application to have Gurnovich memorialized in Washington was mostly based upon College’s account. College was happy to hear Gurnovich was getting the recognition he deserved. “This is fantastic and long overdue. John will always be in our hearts and our minds. There was no type of national organization back then to recognize this type of valor or service,” said College. College said Gurnovich, like many other officers on the force at that time, did a lot of work at police headquarters that went unrecognized. “Many of the tasks that needed to be done, we just did ourselves without monetary compensation, on our own time. John came in on a Saturday to help panel the entranceway. He built the console for our radio system. That’s the way we did things back then,” said College.

June 17, 2008 was the day Dominick DeLucia was sworn in as a police officer. The ceremony took place at 1500 hrs in the municipal building main meeting room. “Rick” is 26 years old, from South Brunswick and has a Criminal Justice Degree from Ramapo College. He attended the Somerset County Police Academy and was selected from the Alternate-Route Program.

On September 30, 2008 the agency advised all employees that CPLIMS was shutting down for good and that the program will no longer be available to anyone. All the previously stored data from February 9, 1984 through October 31, 2007 would have to be obtained through the Legacy Database.

On October 8, 2009 Deborah Krypel retired with twenty-five of service.

On October 22, 2008 the department was given final approval and awarded accreditation status. A formal presentation was done on October 28, 2008 at 7:30pm during the township council meeting. The Chief handed out engraved, lock bladed knives to all personnel as a token of appreciation for a job well done.

Bruce Feldman was hired as PST on February 5, 2009. Bruce previously served as a member of our Auxiliary Police Unit.

On March 1, 2009 Captain Mark Montagna and Sgt. Jeffrey Karpiscak retired after twenty-five years of service. Many thanks to Sgt. Karpiscak for all his hard work researching and maintaining the department’s history.

On March 1, 2009 Marla Kaser resigned from the police department Records Bureau to pursue a new career.

On April 1, 2009 Tele-Communicator Julie Weiler retired with twenty-years of service.

On June 13, 2009 Marie Distasio was hired as a PST.

On July 1, 2009 Sgt. William Grischuk retired with twenty-five years of service.

On August 1, 2009 Sgt. Michael Kushwarra retired with twenty-five years of service.

Four officers were promoted to the rank of sergeant on October 16, 2009: John Klemas, Kenneth Drost, Dale Owens and James Ryan.

December 2, 2009 saw the addition of three new officers to the department: Gagan Chopra, William Merkler and Brady Shelcusky.

On December 31, 2009 Sgt. Kevin O’Brien, Det. Joseph Halmi and PST Margret Gorsky retired after of 25 years of service.

Sgt. Scott Hoover retired on February 1, 2010 after 32 years of service.

Ralph Basile was hired on May 3, 2010 as a full time Public Safety Telecommunicator after serving as a part time PST.

On April 1, 2010 four members of our agency retired. Lt. Scott Williams (30 Years of service) Sgt. Andy Hubbard (30 Years of service), Sgt. Lloyd Oertel (26Years of Service) and Information Management Supervisor Sharon Zeltakalns (32 Years of service).

Captain Gary Luck retired on September 1, 2010 after 30 years of service.

On September 17, 2010 five officers were promoted to fill the void created by the retirements from earlier this year. Robert Carinci was promoted to Lieutenant, Christopher Giampietro to Sergeant, Scott Reeves to Sergeant, Michael Rogers to Sergeant and Frank Lombardo to Sergeant.

Sgt. Hugh McNeil retired on December 31, 2010 after 30 years of service.

Captain Harry J. Delgado retired on February 1, 2011 after over 30 years of service.

Sgt. Scott Bevensee retired on April 1, 2011 after 28 years of service.

On May 27, 2011 four officers were promoted to fill the void created by retirements: Edward George to the Rank of Captain, James Stoddard to the rank of Lieutenant, Donald Varga and Rick Schwarz to the rank of Sergeant.

In the five days from August 27 to August 31 our community was severely impacted by Hurricane Irene. During that time period there were 947 calls for assistance to the South Brunswick Police Department. All the major roadways through the Township were rendered impassable at some point in time during the storm. It is estimated that as many as 30,000 residents lost power during the storm. The majority had their power restored by August 31st. Officer staffing levels were doubled to allow maximum coverage during the storm. The Emergency Operations Center was required to be operational for the longest period of time in the past ten years.

Captain Patrick Owens retired on October 1, 2011 after 27 years of service.

On November 4, 2011 four officers were promoted to fill the void created by retirements: Robert Carinci to the Rank of Captain, John Mcnamara to the rank of Lieutenant, Michael LaPoint and Jeffrey Russo to the rank of Sergeant.

Sgt. Patrick O’Brien retired on December 1, 2011 after 26 years of service.

On December 13, 2011 four new officers were sworn in at a Township Council meeting. Jamal Benbow was previously a police officer in Patterson, Timothy Hoover is a life long Township resident and son of retired Sgt. Scott Hoover, Michael Ngo was previously a police officer in Trenton and Ricardo Moreira.


I would like to thank:
The entire South Brunswick Police Department
Chief Fred Holsten ret. (1933 – 1960) (1962 – 1974)
Chief Frank Simmons ret. (1974 – 1987)
Chief Frank College ret. (1987 – 1994)
Chief Michael Paquette (1994 – 2005)
Chief Raymond Hayducka (2005 –)
Captain Patrick J. Owens (1984 – 2011)
Sgt. Michael Duca ret.
Ptl. Frank Lombardo (1995 –
Ptl. Paul Wilson (Special 1950’s – 1960’s)
PSTS Louis Braconi (2006 – 2007)
Mr. and Mrs. Robert McGrady
Bobbie Boekhout (South Brunswick Personnel)
Author Sheree Alexander-West
South Brunswick Public Library
The Star Ledger
The Home News and Tribune
The Central Post
The Sentinel

This site is modified periodically.
Sgt. Jeffrey Karpiscak # 45

Updated January 2012 – Lt. Joseph Charmello



Police Dept.

Raymond J. Hayducka
540 Ridge Road
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852

Close Search Window