Only Public Works
Only Police
Only Recreation
Only Seniors
Entire Site
Public Works
Raymond T. Olsen

540 Ridge Road
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
732-329-4000 x7260

Garbage FAQ's


I'm a new resident, what's my garbage collection day?  Garbage Information


My garbage was not picked up. What should I do?
Occasionally there is a good reason why your material was not picked up on the scheduled day (ie. street construction, car parked in front of material, material put out late, material not properly prepared, holiday). However, on some occasions the contractor just misses a house. LEAVE the material at the curb and call the Public Works Department. You will be asked a series of questions in order to determine the cause. If material is properly prepared and was out on time the contractor will be sent back within 48 hours.

I have a piece of furniture that I need to dispose of. What should I do?
Consider donating the item. Below is the Middlesex County Reuse It Book, it will be helpful in finding orgainzations that may be interested. If the item is not suitable for donation, you may place it at the curb or outside the nearest dumpster enclosure for garbage day.  It is recommended that residents call the Recycle Office ahead your scheduled day to ensure pick up.

The New Reuse-It Book - A Middlesex County Guide to "Freecycling"

How should I dispose of grass clippings?
Grass clippings should be bagged (no more than 30 pounds) and placed out with the regular garbage. Alternatively, why throw away free fertilizer? See the Grasscycling page.

It is a holiday next week. Will my garbage be picked up?
There are only 6 holidays in which service will be rescheduled for the following day. These holidays include New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

I have concrete from a small sidewalk repair job. What can I do with the concrete?
The Township cannot pick up concrete and does not have an area for recycling it. However, for a small fee South Brunswick Recycling (Route 130) will accept the material. Call 732-329-3288 for prices and hours. Additionally, Trap Rock Industries (Kingston) will accept the material for a small fee from homeowners. Call 609-924-0300 for details.

I have some hazardous waste to dispose of. How do I do this?
See the Hazardous Materials portion of the site.

I have paint that I need to dispose of. What should I do?
See the Paint Drop-Off page.

When will my leaves be picked up?
Leaves are banned from the landfill and must be recycled. Watch the local newspaper for scheduled pick-up days in your area or click below for the schedule.  Leaf Schedule

I have cut some branches in my yard. How can I dispose of them?
Brush is a mandated recyclable in Middlesex County. Brush will not be collected with the garbage and must be recycled by bringing it to the Township's drop off convenience center located behind Sondek Park Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The area is closed Township Holidays. Proof of residence may be required.


From Route 1: Go east on New Road. At stop sign make a right onto Ridge Road and a quick left onto East New Rowad. Proceed approximatley 8/10 of a mile. Sondek park will be on the right.

From Route 130: Go west on Friendship Road. Make a right onto East New Road. Sondek Park will be on the left approximately 3/10 mile.

I have a mattress that I need to dispose of?
You may place your mattress at the curb or outside the nearest dumpster enclosure for garbage day. Please note all mattresses & boxsprings must be wrapped or bagged for collection.

I have an old appliance that I need to dispose of. What should I do?
Large appliances are handled by Recycling. See the Special Recycling Guidelines.